Ages 5 to 8
Here's a fun craft to do on July 4th: make red, white, and blue Patriotic Bracelets from scrap paper! Use up extra scrapbooking paper and old magazines or advertisements for this simple and fun holiday activity.
What you'll need
- 1 sheet red cardstock
- 1 sheet white cardstock
- 1 sheet blue cardstock
- craft knife (for adult use ONLY)
- clean kitchen cutting board
- glue stick
- paper advertisements or magazine pages featuring patriotic images (optional)
- stickers featuring patriotic images (optional)
- washable markers or crayons (optional)
- Paper Punches: If you have large paper punches (1.5" or larger), you can use them to cut out the medallion part of the bracelet quickly and easily. You can use smaller paper punches to make decorations to glue onto the bracelet.
- Napkin Rings: Use this technique to make patriotic napkin rings, just cut the paper strips shorter (about 3") and tape around rolled napkins.
- Color First: Before you thread the medallions, let your child decorate it with marker, crayon, or colored pencil. If they are very small and you want to ensure they stay within the patriotic theme, just limit the color choices to red and blue.
- If you're short on time (or your magazines don't have any patriotic photos that will work), just pick up a package of patriotic stickers at the dollar store to decorate your bracelets. Kids can also draw their own patriotic art, so don't forget the washable markers!
How to make it
Cut a strip from your cardstock that measures 1/2-inch wide and 8 inches long.
Cut a medallion (circle, oval, star, or square) about 2 inches in diameter from a contrasting color of card stock.
Mark two slits on the back side of medallion, a little wider than the 1/2-inch strip.
Cut slits with craft knife (adults ONLY).
Slip 1/2-inch strip into one slit, and out the other. Slide medallion onto center of paper strip (see photo).
If desired, cut out small patriotic photos from catalog or use your cardstock to make a star or flag and glue on top of medallion, covering the paper strip that is peeking through.
Alternately, stick stickers on paper medallion and bracelet band to decorate.
Tape to fit comfortably on child's wrist. Trim excess paper, if desired.