Ages 2 to 4
Waiting for dusk (and the fireworks show) is the hardest part of July 4th! Keep your crowd entertained with a 4th of July craft that doubles as a fun pre-fireworks activity. With these Patriotic Ribbon Bracelets, kiddos can celebrate Independence Day by letting ribbon streamers whirl and twirl in the wind just like fireworks.
What you'll need
- 1 plastic bangle bracelet (red, white, or blue)
- 5 pieces of ribbon in red, white, and/or blue, cut into 36-inch lengths
- Group Crafting: If you are doing this craft with a group of kids at your Independence Day party, pre-cut lengths of ribbon and assemble craft baggies to hand out to all the participants.
- Rhythm Activity: After the bracelets are made, play a couple of patriotic marches (like "Stars and Stripes Forever" by John Phillips Sousa) and encourage kids to get up and dance, waving their ribbon streamers along to the music.
- Wind Sock: Create a dancing ribbon windsock by adding several more lengths of ribbon to completely fill the bracelet all the way around. Add ribbons tied to an unbent paper clip at the top for a hook.
How to make it
Fold one piece of ribbon in half, and hold folded loop behind bracelet.
Thread the ends of ribbon around the bracelet and through the loop (see photo) to make a lark's head knot
Repeat with all ribbons.
Alternate ribbon colors.