It takes more than eggnog and cookies to plan a Christmas party with kids involved. You also need games and activities to keep them happy and entertained. Fortunately, you probably already have everything you need to make these jolly children's Christmas party games, activities and party supplies will make it a cinch to get in the holiday spirit.
CHRISTMAS PARTY PLANNING
With everything on your "to-do" list during the holidays, planning a class, company or home party will require plenty of time. Try to give yourself 4-6 weeks to prepare. This will allow time for on-line orders, invitation responses, Christmas party planning, shopping etc. For stress free party planning, order your holiday party supplies on-line. Then add holiday cheer with the Christmas party games and ideas provided below!
CHRISTMAS PARTY INVITATIONS
A simple Christmas tree or star, cut from colored cardstock paper, inviting your guests to share the holiday spirit will do. Add some glitter or sequins to the envelope.
CHRISTMAS PARTY GAMES AND ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
If doing a few Christmas crafts is not really your speed, why not try one or two of these fun Christmas activities?
Gift Wrap Relay
Perfect for kids over 9 years old. You'll need:
- An identical box for each team
- Pre-cut wrapping paper
- Ribbon (optional)
Wrap the packages before the party.
- Divide the children into teams.
- Each team will receive a wrapped gift box, wrapping paper sheet for each player tape and possibly ribbon.
- Place these items on a table or the floor for a gift wrap station.
- To play the game, a team member will leave their group, run to the gift station, unwrap the gift, rewrap the gift, and run back to tag the next team member. The first team to have each member wrap the gift wins.
Tip: An unopened box of macaroni and cheese works well for this game.
Find the Christmas Star Game
- Hide star ornaments before the party.
- Divide the children into teams and send them searching for an ornament.
Pass the Parcel Game
This is a traditional game from England and a favorite Christmas party game in our family!
- Before the party, place enough Christmas treats (Candy canes, chocolate kisses, erasers) for all of the guests in a small box and wrap it.
- Then place the parcel into a bigger box and wrap that as well. Then again and again until there are several layers of wrapping.
- To play the game everyone sits in circle. Play Christmas music while passing the "parcel" around from player to player.
- When the music stops, the player holding the parcel unwraps one layer.
- Then, play the music and begin passing again.
- Continue to play until the last layer is unwrapped and the treats are handed out.
TIP: We've found it easier to have the players only partially unwrap during their turn. That way every player is sure to get a turn. We also only use a few boxes but several layers of paper.
- Styrofoam balls or balls of white yarn
- Spoons and mittens for each team
- Play this game as you would any relay race: divide into teams.
- Each player takes turns putting on mittens and balancing a "snowball" on a spoon while racing to the other side of the room.
- Drop the snowball into a bucket, return to the team, pass the mittens and go to the back of the line.
- First team to complete the race wins!
- Players sit in a circle.
- The first player says,"On Christmas Eve I'm traveling with Santa and I'm going to take (something starting with A )".
- The next player repeats the first object and adds an object beginning with B continue the game through the alphabet.
- If there are more players than 26 letters...start again at "A".
Visit from Santa
If you decide to have Santa visit the party, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Little children may not be comfortable with a Santa visit allow them the option to do another activity while Santa visits.
- If you are hiring a Santa Claus to come to your party, make sure he has references or is booked through a reputable company.
- Feel free to ask how much experience he has.
- Will he pass out gifts that you provide?